Sunday, October 10, 2010

Halloween Crazy Crayons

I am obsessed with making these! I just love that you can make those inevitable broken crayons into something so cool even my oldest wants to use them! For my special Halloween blend I didn't restrict to just black & orange but instead added grey, white, yellow, peach, yellow orange, and orangey red.

I first placed my crayons in hot water and let me soak off their wrappers. I love how easy this makes getting the wrappers off! Seriously, they come right off.

After I dry them off, I pop them into a plastic bag.

Then I take them out to the garage and let my boys pound away. Breaking the crayons into smaller pieces. I like to keep them a little chunky because I think the crayons come out with a cooler marble look.

Then I pour the pieces into this silicone cookie mold. I don't use this guy for anything but crayons because there is a weird waxy residue that I have no desire to ingest. I put my oven on 325, pop them in the oven, and wait for them to melt.

Once they are melted and look marble-ish I take them out and let them cool.

Once they are cool I just pop them out of the mold. Sometimes I lack patience and try to pop them out too soon. The crayons crack, I mentally scold myself for being so impatient, and pop them back in the oven to get melty again. Seeing the error of my ways I wait patiently for them to be cool and they turn out just fine. *More importantly no one knows that I messed them up the first time!

Now my kiddos can enjoy their cool festive Halloween Crazy Crayons!

No comments:

Post a Comment